This is not what I was talking about in the previous post. It was about individuals watching individuals and corporations watching individuals. For profit or for non-same. This is about a government that wants to monitor the entire internet. For early terror warnings.
If the US government wants a surveillance system on the net, maybe they should look at the commercial and tried-and-true way of doing just that? (These are just examples, I’m not accusing anyone)
- Build huge banner ad networks and use the creatives as web bugs
- Build the world’s most popular search engine and offer a custom browser toolbar
- Offer free statistics services and log file analysing
- Get a spyware slot in popular office suites
- Offer free email services
- To make people relax and use the net freely, offer anonymising services and log everything
- Centralise and gather data from all of these services
But alas, it is ever so much easier tapping feeds from ISPs. Or even better, build secret taps into routers.